THE STORM OF LIFE by Hesba Stretton

Quick take:
Rachel Trevor is released from prison and goes looking for her child, Rosy, at the workhouse. They are desolate and cold as they search for food and work, having no luck. A chimney sweeper takes them in and offers domestic employment. They meet Rachel’s husband accidentally, but she does not want to fall back in her old ways with him. She accepts her duties as wife reluctantly and shows unusual strength in bearing out the burden while trying to resist evil.
Important quote:“Christ loves me, God loves me. Thou God seest me."
My impression:
A moving (sometimes very bleak) story that held my attention and had an encouraging message of hope in God through severe trials.
Important excerpt:“Remember that Christ, my Lord, came to seek and save those that are lost. You know you are lost; He is seeking you, and He will save you. Keep in mind that He is always at your side; a friend that will grieve and morn over you more than I should, if you fall again into sin. He died to set you free from sin, and to open the gates of heaven for you. My poor Rachel can you sin with your Savior’s eyes looking on?”

The STORM OF LIFE by Hesba Stretton - $8.95.

No comments: