A MAN OF HIS WORD by Hesba Stretton

Quick take:
Christmas Williams was well respected in his town. He cared nothing for the new prayer meetings and the talk of God and Savior. When Christmas’ daughter, Easter, took up belief of Jesus as her Savior he threw her out of the house. She became married and had a son, but he kept his word and did not speak to them. The story progresses and “keeping his word” becomes hypocritical. In the end, much is learned about God.
My impression:
As usual Stretton gives much to think about. This is one of her shorter stories, but interesting. Issues involved are pride, reputation, overcoming stubbornness, and being true to your belief system.
Excerpt:

“‘A man can't be true,’ says Christmas, ‘until he is true towards God. I prided myself upon being a man of my word, and meaning all I said, though I spoke a lie every time I said, “I believe.” I didn't believe in God, nor in Jesus Christ our Lord, nor in having any sins to be forgiven. A man must be made true in the darkest corners of his heart before he can be a man of his word.’”

A MAN OF HIS WORD by Hesba Stretton - $4.95.

No comments: