UNDER THE OLD ROOF by Hesba Stretton

Quick take:
When Richard, Abigail’s husband, died she was left with her son, Gabriel. She had worked hard to repurchase the house of her father, the “old roof.” When Dick, her stepson, comes home he tried to take the house away from Abigail and she is heartbroken. Dick’s lack of work ethic brought him low and he was forced to face himself during a severe sickness. Crying out for help he turned toward God for forgiveness.
My impression:
This is a great story, illuminating many issues including inheritance laws, industrious work, forgiveness, and accepting God’s providence.
Quote:
“I’m a wicked sinner,” he said; “but Jesus Christ has pardoned me; and to show I'm true and I'm not makin’ any pretence, I've been to lawyer Whitmore and found out the way of makin’ over the houses to mother, as they rightfully belong to. And I beg her pardon here, before you all, and I ask her to let me try to be a good son to her, and a good brother to poor Gideon.”

UNDER THE OLD ROOF by Hesba Stretton - Paperback - $5.95..

No comments: